Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking shares a light and refreshing mushroom pasta dish, just in time for patio dining season.
I often experience serious cravings for pasta, most likely because I only ate pasta for the first 10 years of my life. Thank goodness I was on the swim team; otherwise I would have turned into one giant carb.
Back in the day it was always spaghetti noodles with some garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Nowadays I like to do a throwback to my inner child and enjoy the same dish, dressed up with some seriously sautéed mushrooms and herbs.
I like to cook the mushrooms for about 10-15 minutes over medium heat so the flavors develop and they begin to caramelize. Then they get topped with some freshly cut herbs, tossed into a whole wheat spaghetti bowl and topped with lots of shredded Parmesan cheese.
It’s a simple weeknight meal that I always make double batches of so we can enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day. You could even try pairing the pasta with blended mushroom meatballs, for a double dose of mushroom love.
Mushroom, Herb and Cheese Whole Wheat Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces mushrooms, any variety will work, cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces dried whole-wheat pasta
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, cut into a chiffonade
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy bottom skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown and caramelized. Reduce the heat to medium and add in the garlic and shallot and sauté for a few minutes more until the shallot is just translucent.
- Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to the package directions. Once the pasta is cooked, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta. Add the cooked pasta and remaining water to the mushroom mixture and toss to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and top with basil and Parmesan cheese. Toss everything together to combine and serve.