Sausage & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie – A Thanksgiving Leftovers Dinner
Erin from $5 Dinners serves up Thanksgiving leftover inspiration with her recipe for Sausage and Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie.
So when it comes time for Thanksgiving leftovers, I’m always looking to get creative with the sides and fixings. I’ll fix something with leftover turkey for my husband or my kids, but I’ll also fix something unique for myself. Leftover mushrooms blend perfectly with sausage and the remaining mashed potatoes serve as the perfect finish for a spin on Shepherd’s Pie.
This holiday, when the day after Thanksgiving hits and you’re looking for a non-turkey leftover alternative, and you have extra mushrooms that didn’t make it into the stuffing, here’s a delicious Thanksgiving leftovers twist.
Sausage & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage, browned
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Approximately 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, brown the sausage with the chopped onions. When the sausage is about “halfway browned,” or partially cooked through, add the mushrooms to the skillet and toss with the sausage while it finishes browning.
- Once the sausage is browned and the mushrooms are tender, transfer the mixture to the glass baking dish. Top with the leftover mashed potatoes and then sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese has melted and potatoes have warmed through.
- Serve Sausage & Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie following your Thanksgiving meal.