Asian Mushroom Matzo Ball Soup
Amy from What Jew Wanna Eat puts a spin on this classic Passover staple with a bit of mushroom love.
Matzo ball soup is a traditional Passover dish made with a rich stock, tons of vegetables and hearty matzo dumplings. This Asian twist uses shitake mushrooms in the dumplings and soup, with fresh cilantro and a spicy kick from jalapeños. It’s still kosher for Passover thanks to a secret ingredient that mimics the flavor of soy sauce.
A fun addition to your Passover Seder, or a light lunch on its own, this dish can easily be vegetarian. I recommend homemade stock, but store bought works in a pinch! Feel free to leave out the jalapenos for the kids, and season to taste to amp up the flavor!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 10 cups stock
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup matzo meal
- ¼ cup green onions, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup shitake mushrooms, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup carrots, julienne
- ½ cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 6 lime wedges
- First, make your matzo balls. In a medium bowl, whisk ½ cup of stock with eggs. Then mix in matzo meal, green onions, minced shitake mushrooms, minced cilantro, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Since the dough will be sticky, refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
- When you are ready to cook, form matzo meal concoction into about 14 1-inch balls.
- Now, make your soup. Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add matzo balls. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes until matzo balls puff up and are cooked through.
- In a separate stockpot, add remaining broth, ginger, balsamic vinegar, carrots and mushrooms and simmer for 10-15 minutes until flavors meld and carrots and mushrooms are cooked. Add matzo balls to the soup and serve with jalapeno, cilantro, green onions and lime as garnish!