Jump start soup season with a delicious blenditarian Mushroom Meatball Mexican Soup from Chez Us.
One of the most exciting things about switching seasons from summer to fall is that it is officially soup season! The weather is beginning to cool off, I start to unpack big wooly sweaters and blankets for the house, and comfort food – particularly soup – creeps into my mind. We eat a lot of soup around our house once the temperatures cool off, and nothings say comfort like a big bowl of this Mexican Meatball Soup.
This recipe is not lacking in flavor or mushrooms. Blended meatballs are made with a mixture of ground beef, pork and finely chopped mushrooms using The Blend, and then flavored with our favorite dried taco seasoning. The broth is loaded with more mushrooms as well as heat from jalapeños. Simmering the meatballs in the broth not only cooks them but adds so much more flavor. All that is left is some garnish of fresh cilantro, avocado, and cheese.
Save an extra bowl for yourself to enjoy the next day at lunch, as this soup gets better over night!
Mexican Meatball Soup Recipe
Serves 6 – 8
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound of cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup panko
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite powdered taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 jalapeño, no seeds and finely chopped
- 1/2 pound of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed out
- 1 14.5 ounce can kidney beans
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- a large avocado, cut into dice
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- cilantro, garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, pork and chopped mushrooms, along with the panko, egg and taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Form into medium-sized meatballs and set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and onion. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño and sliced mushrooms, stir and cook over medium-low heat for 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, corn and kidney beans and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and gently place the meatballs into the hot broth. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, then tear the 1/2 bunch of cilantro into the soup. Stir.
- Place soup into a serving bowl, top with some cheese, avocado and cilantro. Squeeze a wedge of lime into the soup.