Get your friends excited about tailgating season and serve up these crowd-pleasing Italian Sausage Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms from Billy Parisi.
Football is in full effect and I couldn’t be any happier. I love all things tailgating and comfort food, so what better to serve up than these Italian Sausage Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms. They are incredibly easy to make, absolutely delicious and are sure to be the hit at your next tailgate. I’m all about packing a ton of flavor into little bites, and these stuffed up mushrooms do exactly that. They truly deliver a lot of flavor in just one bite.
You’ve got mushrooms, you’ve got bacon, you’ve got Italian sausage, how on earth could any of this go wrong? Not to mention, bacon and mushrooms are bursting with delicious umami flavor – forcing you to go back for more to quench your taste buds. I love this recipe and not just because it’s easy but also because I get to use the whole mushroom. Once the stems are removed, I like to process them in a food processor until they are finely chopped, and then fold them into the loose Italian sausage for a more mushroomy flavor.
From here on out, it’s all about stuffing up the mushrooms. Just as a note, you won’t need as much Italian sausage as you might think, so don’t go overboard buying pounds of it. Once you’ve added a small amount to the mushroom caps, top off with some boursin cream cheese and sprinkle on some bread crumbs. Honestly, these guys would be a hit just like this, but wrap’em up in bacon just because!
Cook the mushrooms until the bacon is nice and crispy, which takes about 30 minutes or so at 400°. Once they’re done do your best not to eat all of them! Let me know how you like ’em!
Italian Sausage Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms
Makes 22 stuffed mushrooms
- 22 domestic mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ pound of loose Italian sausage
- ½ cup of boursin cream cheese
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 11 strips of bacon, cut in half
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and place them in a food processor and process on high speed until they are finely chopped.
- Fold the chopped steams in with the Italian sausage until combined.
- Next, place the mushrooms gill side up on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and drizzle on olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the mushrooms with a small amount of the Italian Sausage-Mushroom blend until it’s all gone.
- Layer on a small amount of the boursin cheese and then sprinkle on the bread crumbs.
- Finish by completely wrapping the mushroom in bacon and baking it at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bacon is crispy.
- Serve hot!