Turn up the heat this month and top your summer salad with Asian Mushroom Chicken Patties from Chez Us. Your patio party just got better.
July is National Grilling Month, and I have been firing up our indoor grill as well as the outside one often all month long. One of our favorite recipes has been this one for Asian Mushroom Chicken Patties using The Blend method. Inspired by the flavors of South East Asia cuisine, it is packed with flavor and it is light and healthy. Perfect for summer time meals or any season meals.
I am always looking for ways to make our meals healthier, and one way I approach this is by using The Blend method by replacing half of the meat in a recipe with chopped mushrooms. Added flavor, vitamins and nutrients, as well mushrooms make every recipe extra moist and juicy. I feel better knowing I made one of my recipes healthier with the addition of mushrooms. When I serve a recipe using The Blend method to friends and family, they are always so surprised that half of the “meat” is mushrooms. Great for picky eaters too.
To make serving these patties fun as well as leaner on my waistline, I serve them wrapped in lettuce leaves along with carrots, cucumber, and more cilantro. I prefer to make ribbons out of the carrots but feel free to grate or thinly slice. The cucumbers are sliced very thin, with the seeds left in.
The dressing is a drizzle of nuoc cham, which is a traditional Thai sauce usually served with spring rolls, and equally as good with this recipe. My version is more tart and a little spicy, perfect companion with the grilled mushroom chicken patties.
Asian Mushroom Chicken Patties
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 2/3 cup panko
- 1/8 cup cilantro, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 egg
- sprinkle salt and pepper
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, grated or cut into ribbons
- 1/8 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 large garlic, finely minced
- 1 small red chili, thinly sliced
- butter or red leaf lettuce
- In a processor or chopper, chop the mushrooms finely.
- Place the mushrooms, ground chicken, yellow onion, garlic, bread crumbs, cilantro, Sriracha, egg and salt and pepper together in a bowl. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into small patties – will make 12.
- Preheat a stove-top grill pan or an outdoor grill. Lightly coat the grate with a little olive oil.
- Place the patties onto the hot grill and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes. The meat will lift up on its own when it is ready to turn over.
- Flip and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the grill.
- To serve, place a lettuce leaf onto a plate, top with some cucumber, carrots, cilantro and a mushroom chicken patty.
- Drizzle with some dressing.
- Dressing – I make this earlier in the day and place into the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients together in a small jar, place on the lid and shake to combine.