Paula of bell’alimento shares a cheesy mushroom tart just in time for warm weather!
Tarts are easy and elegant and come together lickety split. They’re incredibly versatile. You can enjoy them for brunches, light lunches or even dinner. They’re even elegant enough to serve for party appetizers. Add mushrooms to the mix and what’s not to love?
I like to keep a few boxes of puff pastry in my freezer at all times. They’re perfect for both sweet and savory recipes and have saved me more times than I care to admit. To make this tart, you’ll start off by forming the thawed pastry sheet onto your tart pan. If you don’t happen to have a rectangular pan, you can absolutely you a small round pan. No pans at all? No worries, just cut the pastry into squares and freehand this.
A simple saute of mushrooms (any fresh variety will work beautifully) with a few fabulous ingredients and a mixture of cheeses and your filling is ready to be smoothed into the tart crust. Pop that beauty into the oven for a few minutes and then enjoy a slice (or two)!
1 puff pastry crust – thawed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 onion – minced
2 cloves garlic – minced
8 ounces mushrooms – sliced, divided
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/4 cup white wine
4 ounces cream cheese – room temperature
4 ounces mascarpone – room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a rectangular tart pan with non-stick cooking spray. Unroll pastry and form to fit pan. Using the tines of a fork poke holes throughout. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. WHILE crust is baking, into a large skillet heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add 7 ounces of mushrooms, thyme and wine. Continue cooking until mushrooms have softened. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add cheeses to mixture and stir until combined. Check for seasoning. Adjust if necessary.
5. Pour cheese mixture into crust and spread evenly. Top with reserved mushrooms. Bake for additional 10-15 minutes until golden.
6. Let tart cool and then cut into slices. Garnish with additional thyme if desired.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes