Join the fun(gi) all National Mushroom Month long! ?
How do we love thee, our fungi? Let us count the ways:
1. You can always be relied on to make the most basic meals delicious – think early morning omelets, lunchtime pizzas and burgers, afternoon salads, or late night cheese-filled apps.
2. You are your own kingdom of healthy goodness – neither fruit nor vegetable, but featuring some of the best qualities of both. AND, you’re the only food in the produce section giving us vitamin D.
3. You’re gentle on the Earth – requiring less water and space to grow than most other foods.
4. You blend so well: finely chopped and then blended into proteins, you make burgers, tacos, meatloaf and other favorites more healthy, flavorful and sustainable.
5. Your umami is always an inspiration and an opportunity to discover and create new and exciting meals – think rice bowls, baked frittatas, crepes, and whatever else we can imagine.
You are the one, the only, the mushroom.
Mushroom Meal Matchups
Join in the fun(gi) this month in the first-ever “Mushroom Meal Matchups” bracket. We’re pitting 12 delicious mushroom dishes against one another for the title of the mighty, meaty and umami-est mushroom recipe of 2016!
Below find a few of our “best” recipes revealed this year. See all the contenders, vote for your favorite and enter to win prizes at mushroominfo.com/mushroom-meal-matchups.
Best Bowl: Korean Rice Bowls
Also known as bibimbap (also known as “seconds, please!”).
Best Brunch: Mushroom Crepes with Gruyere Béchamel Sauce
So good you’ll be eating it for brunch and brinner!
Best Banh Mi: Shiitake Pork Burger
“The best burger I’ve ever tasted, and I’m not even kidding.” – Chef Billy Parisi
Best Broccolini: Broccolini Mushroom Salad
The side dish that became the main dish.
Best in Butter: Steak with Herb Sautéed Mushrooms
A pairing for the ages that only gets better with butter.
Best Bite-Sized: Baked Mushroom Frittata Muffins
Little in size, BIG in flavor.